Monday 24 January 2011

Vintage Button Heart





Since getting into all things 'crafty' I have fallen in love with two things: fabric and buttons. Unfortunately beautiful fabrics tend to be expensive, but you can pick up buttons very cheaply. Hobbycraft do tubs of buttons in all sorts of shapes, colours and sizes. Buttons may have been designed for a specific purpose but there are hundreds of cute ways to use them, the only limit is your imagination. So far I have used them in card making and embroideries.

Recently I was researching craft projects online and came across a gorgeous little button heart. I had to give it a try so after buying some craft wire and chosing some buttons I was ready. I have now made a few as I love them so much. I thought I would attempt a tutorial as the button hearts were so easy to make and they look so pretty.

Here's what to do to make your own button heart.

Gather all the buttons you have chosen and lay them out in a heart shape. Ideally use around a 24 gauge craft wire (the wire I bought was too thin so I had to twist two strands together, which worked fine but was very fiddly) and measure out the length needed plus a bit more. It is easiest to start with the button at the bottom of your heart and continue stringing the buttons on in a clockwise direction. It can be a bit fiddly but persevere the end result is worth it. Once you have got all the buttons on to the wire stretch it out in a line. Find the button in the top centre of the heart and bend the wires on both sides up to make a 'v'. Now bend the wire into the heart shape and twist the wires together to join the sides. Congratulations you have your very own button heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment