Wednesday 19 January 2011

Less haste more speed






Thought I would carry on the theme of 'making stuff' and share this little fabric number book I made for my nephew's first Christmas present. I started back in October, which was a good thing as I finished it just in the nick of time. One tip if you are inclined to make Christmas presents for all your family and you have no idea what you are doing don't leave it until the last minute. My deadline was Christmas Eve so that I would be able to buy everyone presents if it all went totally wrong.

I love working with felt because it is so cheap and easy, no fraying or hemming necessary. As a total sewing beginner I have used felt to make lots of things. The great thing is if it looks naf you can throw it away and it will have hardly cost you a thing. If you are like me and totally uncreative the internet is a wealth of ideas you can copy from, which is what I did for all the little pictures in this book. After making, sewing and gluing all the pictures and numbers together I sewed them onto the cream felt squares. Then cut up a long piece of blue felt into 6 parts and sewed the cream squares in the right places. Well not quite in the right places as number 2 ended up between 9 and 10! I also managed to glue 10 raindrops onto the number 9 page. Luckily I spotted my ridiculously stupid mistakes before it was too late. I was pretty pleased with the outcome (although page 4 is a bit wonky!). I just hope my lovely nephew will learn to count in spite of it.

2 comments: