Monday 9 April 2012

Easter Traditions

As a relatively new wife and mother I have really enjoyed instigating family traditions at special times of the year, and being a Christian  I decided to go to town as much as my energy levels let me this Easter. When I look back on my childhood and reminisce the traditions of Christmas and holidays always stick out as special times. Being the over ambitious person I am I always plan more than what I can achieve and being as disorganised as I am I always leave it until the last minute (not recommended if you want an easy stress free life!). My eldest is now two so I figured it was a good time to start introducing our own little Easter family traditions. . .

It started with me blowing my lungs out and nearly throwing up whilst trying to blow out the middle of two eggs (I'm not good with raw eggs).  I then attempted to make my own dye using spinach, but 8 hours later the egg was the same colour it started, so I settled on painting them with food dye instead, but didnt factor on me and my 2 year old having purple hands for 2 days.

Next was the Easter tree, which was much less complicated than the eggs thankfully. I found a few sticks and tied them together and put little chocolate eggs on the tree. I had planned to hang my eggs on the tree but after the mammoth effort gone into creating them I wasnt about to dangle them from a stick.

Then there was the food...yum yum to simnel cake is all I can say. I can't wait for next year to make it again even my husband who does not like marzipan was a fan. Me and my son had loads of fun making chocolate rice krispie nests. We would have made a lot more had Jonah not scoffed way too much of the mixture. We had planned on Easter biscuits but I had a realisation that the only people eating all this food was me, my husband and my 2 year old so I thought biscuits as well as choccie eggs, cake and chocolate nests was pushing it.

I laid an 'Easter table ' on saturday night, which was greeted with lots of 'wows' by my little boy Sunday moring. Off to church to celebrate Jesus' resurrection with our friends and we lots of fun listening to Jonah shouting 'He has risen' and throwing his arms in the air. Of course we had the obligatory egg hunt, which he loved and somehow I managed to take the full basket off him and swap it for just one little egg without him noticing (not sure I will manage that one next year). We made crosses and put them in the ground on a little hill in the garden to remind us what Easter is all about: Jesus and His great love for us.

And that is what all the hard work was for. We had lots of fun but underneath all that Im hoping Jonah will know that Easter is about whole lot more than just chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment